Thomas Ridley have been a merchant family business in the foodservice sector for 300 years, recently celebrating their centenary as a PLC. Taking a strategic view on the next hundred years in business a clear vision and strategy for digital was critical. The strategy hinged on the successful development of a new ecommerce site prioritising the user journey.
A variety of key integration touchpoints were needed to facilitate an outstanding online user experience. The brief was to create a site that prioritised the customer journey, providing valuable information and simplifying the path-to-purchase for both their classic B2B customers and reaching out to a new B2C user base with the end goal of significantly growing the sales performance of the digital channel.
What we did
- Development of Magento 2 site
- Multiple integrations with ERP system and marketplace management cloud CMS
- Sophisticated product search covering the catalogue of 5,500 stock lines with augmented attributes such as brand and allergens.
- The ability for users to search for, create a list, specify a quantity and add a number of different products to their order from a single page.
- Inclusion of a tabulated system for managing information text for Product Description, Ingredients, Preparation, Storage Instructions, Directions for use, Allergens, Nutrition, Attributes and Product Data Documents.
- The provision of a product comparison facility and integrated reviews and social media sharing capabilities.
- The ability to create and manage wishlists for ease of placing commonly recurring orders.
- The integrated system has reduced dependency on manual processes providing transformational efficiencies to the business.
The new website has helped to position Thomas Ridley as a foodservice provider with a passion for food, showcasing their authority in the marketplace with superior product knowledge and expertise. It has provided customers with the ability to place orders (including repeat orders and shopping list uploads) at their convenience across a myriad of devices.
The user experience has been improved by an intuitive site wide search facility and product comparison along with enhanced product descriptions with valuable nutritional information and allergen filtering by exclusion. The site also provides valuable promotional real estate for brands Thomas Ridley distribute.
Thomas Ridley have achieved incredible results in a short space of time;
- 400% increase in digital revenue generation in the first 6 months post go-live
- 255% user increase
- 139% increased session duration
- 181% new users on mobile
- 209% increase in sessions
- 59% decrease in bounces
On the basis of this outstanding performance the team were awarded ‘Best Exploitation of technology – sales over £25m – B2B.’ and ‘Best Brand by Speciality – Hotel, catering and facilities management’ at the ECMOD Direct Commerce Awards 2018, and have been shortlisted for ‘Best use of digital by sector – food and beverage’ at the 2018 Digital Impact Awards.
Thomas RidleyContent Management , ecommerce , Integration , Responsive Design
FinancialsBespoke Development , Content Management , ecommerce , Responsive Design
Disposable Medical Instrumentsecommerce , Responsive Design
Miller and MillerContent Management , ecommerce , Responsive Design
Greenfibresecommerce , Responsive Design
Country Waysecommerce , Responsive Design
Trace Me Luggage Tracker Corporate Siteecommerce , Responsive Design
Direct Bootecommerce , Responsive Design
Zonesleepecommerce , Responsive Design
Harrison & Simmondsecommerce , Responsive Design
Essential Nail Productsecommerce